Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games #1
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Published: October 1st 2008

My, my, my. The Hunger Games. How can I express how amazing this book is, in a coherent manner, without sounding like a complete dork? Impossible? Maybe.

So The Hunger Games is set in a post-apocalyptic world. There are 12 districts, all which are controlled and ruled by the Capitol. Every single year the Hunger Games are held, where one child between the age of 12 and 18 is chosen from every district, and is forced to participate. It is a largely televised event which serves to remind the people of Panem of their past rebellions, where district 13 was subsequently destroyed. The aim of the Hunger Games? Fight to the death until only one remains.

I think anyone who reads this can agree that the plot was amazing. It was written with great execution as the suspense, plot development and characterisation were all carried out very well. The action scenes were fantastic, as was the whole atmosphere of the Games. Readers felt the desperation, fear, helplessness pouring off the page. The two main characters, Peeta and Katniss - what's not to love? Their relationship was so sweet, bittersweet even, and the ending will leave you flabbergasted, begging for more.

It really was a great read. It's one of those books that keeps you thinking about it until well after you've finished. The Hunger Games is a must-read! I wouldn't steer you wrong! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...