Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review: Succubus on Top


Title: Succubus on Top
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Georgina Kincaid #2
Publisher: Kensington
Published: January 1st 2008

Georgina Kincaid's job sucks. Literally.
Love hurts, and no one knows it better than Georgina Kincaid. If she so much as kisses Seth Mortensen, the shy, sexy, incredibly gifted Seattle writer she's been dating, she'll drain his life force. It's not just her personal life that's in chaos. Doug, Georgina's co-worker at a local bookstore, has been exhibiting bizarre behavior, and Georgina suspects that something far more demonic than double espressos is at work. She could use help finding out, but Bastien, an irresistibly charming incubus and her best immortal friend, is preoccupied with corrupting an ultra-conservative talk radio star-and giving Georgina some highly distracting come-hither vibes. Georgina is going to have to work solo on this one-and fast because soon, Doug's life won't be the only one on the line.


As I had hoped after reading Succubus Blues, I fell in love with Seth and was convinced that he and Georgina should be together. I very much felt the bond they shared this time - thank goodness! - and found him a lot more interesting than I did before. I fell in love with all of the other characters too actually. I think there was more character development this time around which was great because I felt there wasn't enough in the previous book. That was a little disappointing because I liked them all and really wanted to get them!

Once again, there is another male lead - Bastien, Georgina's long time incubi friend. My goodness, he gave me so much grief. My opinion of him changed so many times throughout the course of this book. At first, I thought he was cute and sexy, then an annoying jerk who only cared about himself, then a really sweet brother and then an asshole manipulator before finally settling on a good friend. Bastien had what seemed to be a million mood swings but in the end, you understood his motivations and it all seemed a bit more justified.

Onto the complication with Doug and his band… At first I thought what was happening was really predictable. I thought "Oh no! What's with the obviousness? Where's the subtlety? It's so obvious where this is going and what's happening!" Turns out, it wasn't what I was thinking at all. The only thing I guessed correctly was a minor detail which was intentionally very obvious, so that was a nice surprise. It was completely unexpected and we all know that's a good thing. Like Bastien's storyline, Doug's changes multiple times as well so we're never completely sure of anything at any given time with this book1

I enjoyed Succubus on Top much more than the previous book and can now see why so many are in love with the series. The final scene of this book will definitely please fans in many ways and will get you hyped up for the next! By the way, who loves the title of this? *raises hand*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...