Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Review: Spellbound


Title: Spellbound
Author: Cara Lynn Shultz
Series: Spellbound #1
Publisher: Harlequin
Published: June 28th 2011
Source: Net Galley

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.
But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

Spellbound was, in one word, perfect. I wasn't sure what the paranormal element of the novel would entail but my goodness, it was better than I expected. I honestly don't know how I can explain the novel without spoiling it, so I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut since half the fun is the mystery! Beautifully written and 100% addictive…Spellbound is a must read.

This novel has so many strong characters. There is a lot of development (so refreshing!) and all of them are an absolute joy to read about - minus the protagonists. After moving from Keansburg, New Jersey after some family deaths, Emma Conner finds herself living in New York City with her aunt, her only friend being Ashley, her two-years-younger cousin. The two go to Vincent Academy together and there, Emma meets many interesting people - Anthony the resident manwhore, Jenn the weekend drunk, Kristen the hateful devil, Angelique the quirky witch, Cisco the friendly gay and, last but certainly not least, Brendan the most amazing book boy that has ever existed. I've read many books with great guys in them but it's been a long time since I've gone to bed after finishing a book, on a high because of the great guy, plot and other characters. Spellbound managed to do just that and begged to be reread immediately. I honestly might have if it weren't 4am.

I found this story to be very unique and captivating. Again, I can't reveal what happens but trust me. It's amazing and unlike anything you've read it a long time, if ever. Though set in a paranormal world, this novel is very realistic. From the way Emma and Brendan's relationship develops to how people behave in high school…it's all there and true. The romance builds slowly and honestly made my heart explode multiple times. Brendan is intelligent, athletic and sweet. He protects Emma at all costs and this ultimately gets them through all things, thick and thin.

So do I need to repeat this again? You need to buy this book now. Camp out in front of the bookstore even. Do it. You won't regret it, I promise! This novel was so fantastic that I got so upset when it was over! Luckily, I found out from the author that there is a sequel, which she is currently writing! How fantastic is that? I hope Harlequin know that I'll be stalking them from now on.
Spellbound has everything a reader could ask for. Humour, romance, exciting action, suspense, legends and good ol' high school drama? Check! The wonderfully planned and written plot will keep you glued to the pages until you've finished it. I don't think it's possible to read this in more than one sitting, it's that good. After reading some so-so books lately, you don't know how pleased I am to finally read something so amazing. Cara gets a big hi five from me and I cannot wait to read more of her work!


Find Cara on Twitter, Facebook and her website.
Buy Spellbound on Amazon, The Book Depository, Barnes and Noble and Borders.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...