Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Author Interview: Rhiannon Hart

Please welcome Rhiannon Hart to the blog! Her debut novel, Blood Song, is released today and I'm very excited for you all to read it. Check out my review and be sure to put this on your wishlist!


Hi Rhiannon! Welcome to Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me.

Can you describe Blood Spell in three words?

Blood will out! No, that's cheesy. I'm a monster!? Hmm. See, this is why I write novels. Sixty thousand words is MUCH easier than three words.

Where did you get the inspiration for Blood Spell?

I still have the piece of paper on which I scrawled the first bolt of inspiration for Blood Song. I'm not sure where it came from, but I had this image of a girl and the feeling that she was being taken somewhere with someone, and the journey was going to be far more significant for her than the other person. At first she was a servant of a princess, but then I thought that the character would have more freedom if she was a princess too, and the girl's sister, and that she was hiding secrets and her real motivation for travelling to this place.

Tell us three things about you that we don't know!

1. I am addicted to cabs. If I'm out somewhere at night, especially if it's cold, I'd rather take a $20 cab than wait for a train. I'm so impatient!
2. I love to travel by myself. In June I spent three weeks in Greece island hopping and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done.
3. There is a piece of sticky tape holding my shoe on today. The strap broke this morning on the way to the train. It's my only pair of winter flats, too. (Hurry up spring!)

Go Aussie authors! Did you always know you wanted to be a writer?

I always loved BOOKS. Later I discovered it was even more fun to write them than read them even, and I was hooked. I only started writing YA two years ago, though, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

When writing, do you plan everything first or start and let the chips fall as they may?

I used to be a very chips-fall-as-they-may writer, but I've been becoming a planner. Not to the nth degree though--half the fun is discovering things along the way.

If your book was made into a film, who would play the characters?

I am SO out of touch with the current teen actors. I'd have to say if Joel McHale from Community was dark haired instead of blond, and he was 22 years old, he'd make a perfect Rodden. (Or my boyfriend. That works too. I am crushing hardcore on him right now. He's so sarcastic and self-involved, just like Rodden is.) As for Zeraphina, I know exactly how she looks in my mind, and all the actors I can think of that might play her are just too pretty. I never state anywhere that she's beautiful or willowy or the sort. Really, she's fierce, skinny and doesn't smile a great deal. A little like Parker Posey you could say. If Parker Posey was 16. Or good old Jennifer Connelly circa Labyrinth!

Are you an animal lover? If you were to have an animal who was linked to you, like Zeraphina with Leap & Griffin, what type of animal would it be?

I am! I love animals. When I was three I declared I wanted to be a kitten farmer. If I could have any animal linked to me it would have to be a cat. I'm auntie to a little black siamese cross and she's such a monster. It'd be handy to be able to tell her to GET OFF THE BENCH! NOW! I MEAN IT! without having to raise my voice.

What can we expect from the sequel?

Lots more action and adventure! The story takes the reader across the continent, over the sea and deep into the desert. Rodden's past is explored and Zeraphina really gets a handle on her nature and what she's capable of. Some romance too. There just has to be some romance, doesn't there?

QUICK QUESTIONS:

Perfect writing environment? A big room early in the morning with a big glass of chai and a cat purring in my lap.
Favourite book? ARGH. UM. Right now it's Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson. Best read so far this year.
Favourite author? Tamora Pierce
Favourite book character? Vivian from Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Favourite TV show? Right now it's Community. <3 Joel McHale <3 and also some of the funniest writing ever.
Favourite movie? The English Patient. Torrid love story and a blindingly handsome Ralph Fiennes.
Favourite food? Spanakopita. I love spinach and cheese!
Favourite colour? Teal
Guilty pleasure? One of those big bags of potato chips, a blanket and 15 episodes of whatever half-hour comedy show I'm loving right then.
Favourite leisure activity apart from reading and writing? Belly dancing! It's the best excercise, and I love to dance.
Most embarrassing moment? Walking into a room full of people at a pool party with my bikini top very badly adjusted >.<

Thank you for letting me interview you! It's been a pleasure :)
Thanks for having me, Lisa!!


Rhiannon is all kinds of fun and I hope you enjoyed this little pick at her brain! Seriously guys, go out and get this book. While you'll find it mostly in Australian stores, it is available to internationals on Fishpond! Link is below ;) Did you have a good time?

Find Rhiannon on Twitter, Goodreads and her blog.
Buy Blood Song from Fishpond and Angus & Robertson.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...