Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Review: Halo



Title: Halo
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Series: Halo #1
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: August 31st 2010
Source: Harper Collins Australia for review

Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments. Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong. The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?


Colour me shocked. Halo was an amazing read and I immediately fell head over heels in love! Yes, yes, we've seen the negative views but guess what? I held my breath the whole way through this, waiting for something terrible, but I never found it! The novel was throughly exciting and the romance was delicious. Edward and Bella, you say? Absolutely not! Definitely recommending this breathtaking read.

When three angels arrive in Venus Cove to balance the suspiciously high levels of evil with their goodness, Bethany Church finds herself on earth amongst mortals for the very first time. She's young, impressionable and naive when it comes to the behaviour of teenagers. She is joined by Gabriel, her brother who poses as a young school music teacher, and Ivy, her sister who spends her time helping the community rather than attending high school. From the very first page, I was engrossed in Alexandra's descriptive and detailed writing. In other circumstances, it might have made the novel slow, but this style just fit Halo. Beth is seeing and experiencing everything for the first time after all. Who can fault her for admiring grass or shrieking at the sound of frightening trains? The language flows fluidly and simply too, making it very easy to speed through.

On her first day of school, Beth runs into none other than Xavier Woods, captain of the school and water polo team. He also tutors kids in swimming, plays rubgy, baseball, lacrosse….. Must I go on? Xavier is a brilliant character and you'd be pretty hard pressed not to like him! He has a fantastically strong personality and has good morals to boot. Even Ivy and Gabriel, the strict rule-keepers, can't debate that he and Beth are perfect for one another. Now it's defending time. People often criticise this novel because Beth is too naive and dependent on Xavier. I think they're forgetting one important thing - she's new to this! She's never had alcohol and doesn't know when people are giving her dodgy relationship advice. What do you expect? Trust me, if Beth were human I would've found her very irritating. Instead, Beth's naivety is very endearing and Xavier takes great pleasure in teasing her. He also helps her to understand everything - could I swoon and "aww" any more?

Unlike her warrior brother and healer sister, Bethany has yet to discover her ability. All that she knows is that she's different from other angels, being strangely emotional towards humans and desiring to have relationships with them. She finds herself getting attached to her subjects on a personal level and finds it difficult to treat it as just work. When the antagonist rides into Venus Cove on his motorcycle, all hell breaks loose! Beth's kind heart makes it difficult for her to see his evil intentions, and this complication will lead to a climax that'll have your heart jumping out of your chest! The beautiful love story slowly transitions into a fantabulous thriller and my goodness…. This is some good storytelling.

If you have not yet read this book, do so now. I don't care if people say negative things about it! I don't care if you tried reading it but gave up! Pick Halo up right this moment and read it. I'm sending my awesome-romance-high your way and praying that you all love this as much as I did.
Who's given this a go? Did you like it? Are you willing to give it a go after this review? ;)
“I’m not that scary.”
“You know what Gabriel means,” said Ivy. “All he’s suggesting is that you think before you speak. No personal talk about home, no ‘God reckons’...or ‘God told me’...they might think you’re on something.”

“Fine,” I said huffily. “But I hope I’m at least allowed to fly around the corridors during lunch hour.” Gabriel threw me a disapproving look. I waited for him to get my joke, but his eyes remained serious. I sighed. Much as I loved him, Gabriel could be totally lacking in any sense of humor.
Find Alexandra on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook and her website.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...