Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Teaser - Once by Anna Carey

So I fell in love with Eve and almost lost my mind after the cliffhanger. It was heartbreaking and just absolutely cruel! Way to leave us hanging, Anna! Luckily.......I was able to score a little teaser from Once, which will be released in July. 

If you haven't read Eve yet, I strongly suggest you do so soon! Here's my review for a little extra incentive but really...do you need it? Is the synopsis not gripping enough? *faints*

This teaser isn't spoilery, so new readers, welcome! After the cliffhanger, I really don't know how this scene even came to be. I'm intrigued! This will give you a little taste of how complicated things are in their relationship. Ugh, I hope this book won't make me cry like Eve did!

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Caleb’s hand rested on the small of my back as we climbed the stairs, feeling our way in the dark. The Outlands were quiet. Figures moved in the window of an old motel. We passed a parking lot lined with rusted cars, a dried-out pool, a long strip of empty houses.

 “I can walk you to the corner,” he said, clutching my hand. He nodded to the street just one block away.
            
I felt the map in my pocket, each step bringing us closer to good-bye. I would see him again. Still, I cringed at the thought of going back there, of lying alone in that bed, between the cold, crisp sheets. 

“It’s just two days,” I said aloud, unsure whom I was trying to comfort.

“Right,” Caleb agreed. He kept his eyes on the road as we approached it. “It’s not that long, really,” he said, but he didn’t sound convinced.

We were almost to the corner. He would turn right, further into the Outlands, and I’d turn left, back toward the Palace. When we were just a few yards away, Caleb pulled me to a doorway set off the narrow street, the two-foot threshold just deep enough for us both to press inside. He held my face in his hands, his expression barely visible in the darkness.

“I guess this is good-bye,” he whispered.
          
“I guess so,” I said.


He kissed me, his fingers hard against my chin. My arms gripped his back as I pulled myself closer. His hands were in my hair. I breathed in as his finger dipped inside the neck of my sweater, tracing lines over my collarbone. He leaned down and I kissed his closed eyelids, that tiny scar on his cheek.
          
Somewhere in the distance a Jeep backfired, the noise startling me from my waking dream.


“I have to go—we have to go,” I breathed. 

 I pulled away first, knowing if I didn’t leave then I never would. I turned, giving his hand one final squeeze.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Okay. *takes a second to breathe* Intense stuff. If you've read Eve and know what's happening LOL. If not, I hope this teaser's nipped at your curiosity. Bring on the sequel!

Brodie has a guest post & teaser from Jess Rothenberg (Catastrophic History is awesome!) so be sure to check that out! Event schedule and Comment Giveaway can be found here!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...